Sunday, February 27, 2005

ASL to the rescue...

When I first was told about my wife's famliy (then my girlfriend) I was intrigued to learn that her younger siblings that were adopted were unable to speak but used sign language mainly to communicate. Since they, 2 of the kids, have downsyndrome their signs are easy to learn and fun to use with them. I was intrigued and began thinking about teaching my own kids sign language to be able to communicate with their family (as the youngest brother is deaf) but also to broaden and expand their minds. Those thoughts were rekindled and strengthened with this article I found. It seems teaching sign language to a child saved this woman's life. I am confident that my wife and I will teach our children sign language and am looking forward to it.

No comments: