Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Where is the love?

I know that Proposition 8 in California is a very controversial topic. I personally believe in Prop 8. I also believe that it has gone way too far. I think that this would not have been such a big deal if there had not been the issues that existed in Massachusetts. The fact that people's freedom of how to teach and raise their kids were infringed upon really turned this into a big issue. Where people were scared of what might be forced upon them and their beliefs.
I believe that the family consists of a man, a woman, and children. I believe that the family is central to our happiness and is the basic unit of our wonderful country. When the family fails is when I think that our country will cease to be great.
We need to protect our country and all the rights that have been granted us by our founding fathers. They worked hard to provide us the freedoms that we have today. I do not believe that the constitution would have been possible if it were not for inspiration from God. The constitution is an inspired document based on faith and love.
I believe that we need to protect the family and the freedoms that this great nation was founded on. This nation was founded on religious beliefs and a profound trust in God. I strongly believe that everyone has the right to worship how, who, or what they may. I believe in equal rights and that people deserve to be happy. I know that a lot of people would say that my support for Prop 8 and my belief in equal rights are in conflict. I don't see it as a conflict because I believe that I am still protecting their rights in freedom of religion and to live as they choose.
California has very strict family laws that protect civil unions and grant them all the privileges given to married couples. These laws protect those that want to commit to each other whether straight or homosexual. In my opinion the term 'gay marriage' gives the air of a political stunt and drastically cheapens the meaning of their commitment. I would not be as comfortable supporting Prop 8 if it were not for the family laws that are already in place to protect those that truly love and are committed to each other.

I completely understand why there are very emotional responses on both sides of this issue. What I cannot understand is the violence that has happened. People demanding respect and "tolerance" are the first to take it away from others.
Michelle Malkin again has an amazing pulse on what is going on. Here are some links:
Restaurant bullied by No's on Prop 8
Black listing and harassment
Anti-Prop 8 mob demands submission
Anti-Prop 8 mobs chases christian group

If the people want to change it, then please by all means work within the law to make the changes. Please stop the violence.

No comments: